Today’s manicure topic at the Vane Nail Care Station is SPLIT NAILS. Our goal is to help you achieve and maintain that healthy nails you desire.
Split nails is a common manicure issue we have noticed and we think it’s time for us to tackle it at the Vane Nail Care station.
A Split Nail?
Our nails are made up of layers of keratin which is also the protein that hair is made of. The nail growth comes from below the cuticle area and your nail protects the nail bed.
A split nail is basically when you have a crack forming in your nail. The split could be horizontal, across the nail’s tip, or vertical, splitting the nail in two. The medical term for peeling or splitting fingernails is onychoschizia.
What Causes Split Nails?
• Moisture/Water: Overexposure to moisture can occur while doing dishes, washing hands, or repeated nail polish use.
• Biting: People have a habit of picking their nails or biting them. This can cause can cause stress to the nail and result in a self-inflicted split or broken nail.
• Injury: This is also something that can cause split nails. Crushing your nail tip or bed can result in your nail growing with a ridge or split-like appearance.
• Infections: Fungal, bacterial, or yeast infections in the nail bed can change the texture of the nails, resulting in weakened and split nails.
How to prevent split nails
• Always keep your nails clean and healthy.
• Refrain from keeping your hands or feet in water for a long period of time.
• Use moisturizer or cuticle oil on your nails and cuticles.
• Use the Vane Nail Strengthener to help keep your nails strong.
• Don’t bite or pick around your nails.
• Ensure to add supplements such as biotin with permission from a doctor.
• Use the Vane Almond cuticle oil.
• Always use a base coat before painting your nails. Use the Vane 2 n 1 top and base coat.
The key to avoiding and fixing weak and split nails is to moisturize your cuticle and strengthen your nails with proper nail treatments. The VANE Nail Strengthener contains Calcium Pantothenate, otherwise known as Vitamin B5, which stimulates growth and reproduction. It also contains Retinyl Palmitate, known as Vitamin A, which is an antioxidant. The Vane Almond cuticle oil contains a blend of natural oils which work together to soften and moisturize your cuticles.